PV & Energy Storage Design Engineer
Job Title: PV & Energy Storage Design Engineer
Reports To: Project Engineering Manager
Location: Southern California Based
Coordination: SPV & Energy Storage Component Qualifying, System Design, RFI Support
Sustineo is committed to excellence in workmanship, delighting our clients, and ensuring each project is successful for all project partners. We have been in business for over a decade and operate in California, Arizona, and New Jersey. Sustineo is looking for hardworking, qualified individuals who thrive in a team atmosphere. We are an industry leader in the solar business and continue to remain competitive because of our extraordinary teamwork and focus on creating clients for life.
Summary of Role
In this role, you will work alongside project engineers, project development estimators, master electricians, and project managers. As a design engineer, you will qualify and develop renewable energy projects in the C&I fields. You will see projects from conception to completion and through the lifetime of the system. Sustineo’s industry partnerships and engineering team will support your project work and professional development, while you receive direction and mentorship from Project Engineers & Project Managers. The position requires an excellent engineering skill set and mastery of PV and energy storage system design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with CEO, VP, PE’s, & PM’s to provide the system model of PV and energy storage projects.
- Perform feasibility studies alongside industry leading energy storage system partners.
- Verify conformance with typical Codes and Standards Translation of system models into project proposals, including financial impact analysis.
- Join Project Engineers and Master Electricians on site surveys to begin value-engineering.
- Create designs alongside industry partners to remain up to date as technologies rapidly develop.
- Design protection and relaying systems for PV and energy storage systems.
- Perform electrical calculations associated with design of DC, AC, and MV electrical systems.
- System modeling in ETAP Arc Flash Analysis.
COORDINATION WITH AUTHORITIES HAVING JURISDICTION
- Qualify and respond to AHJ comments as new Codes and Standards develop for PV & energy storage.
COORDINATE WITH CONSTRUCTION CREW
- Utilize the experience of Master Electricians to provide unique details in each design.
- Support construction team with technical issues during interconnection of large PV and energy storage systems.
Related Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering or related fields.
- E.I.T. certification.
- NABCEP PV Design Specialist Certification or equivalent.
- Solar and battery system design and construction experience.
- Willingness to travel.
- Valid California driver’s license is required.
- Proficiency in advanced spreadsheet creation.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and similar industry standard CAD software.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong organizational skills, and thrive in process driven as well as creative environments.
- Strong writing, documentation, and communications skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and juggle multiple projects.
- Must maintain a calm professional demeanor and work effectively even under high stress and significant pressure from both internal and external personnel.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
SHALL EXHIBIT THE FOLLOWING EXPERTISE
- Pursuit of Electrical Engineering License, Project Management Certification, or equivalent.
- Pursuit of NABCEP certifications such as Design Specialist, System Inspector, Technical Sales, etc.
- Excellent PC computer skills, highly proficient in Excel, as well as MS Office Suite.
- Attention to detail and a good understanding of electrical equipment.
- Demonstrated application of current software used to produce system designs.
- Knowledge of Adobe/BlueBeam software and AutoCAD.
Other Pertinent Information:
While we prefer the position to be staffed full-time in Southern California, at our San Diego headquarters, we will consider remote work configurations with commuting to San Diego for regular leadership meetings. The candidate must be legally entitled to work and reside in the U.S. Sustineo is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your cover letter and resume to our HR department, here.